Monday, November 19, 2012

Doin' it wrong on vacation time.

This is the first day of Hannah's Thanksgiving break from school.  I have to work, but her Dad is staying home this week.  The key here is I don't need to get her to school before I leave for work in the morning.  Typically, I get up 3 hours before I have to be at work, so I can get myself ready, then get her ready, then get us both to the places we need to be.  On mornings I want to go for a run first, I increase that lag time to 3 1/2 or 4 hours before I need to start work.

So this morning I was up at 5:00 to go out for my run.  It was 56 degrees, which passes for cold in Florida, so I was decked out in running tights and an ear warmer, feeling semi-professional about the whole thing.  I'd completed my circuit and was passing my own driveway for a cool-down walk when I realized I was out here at least an hour early.  No one has to get anywhere under my supervision but myself this morning. I could have slept until 6:30, and still gotten everything done, and been at work by 9:00. Psht.  I'm not good at days off.

This, however, pales in comparison to the time I returned from a vacation a day early and actually reported to work on a day that I was NOT SCHEDULED to see clients.  I don't remember the trip, but I know it was a trip to someplace, and I recall thinking what a dufus I am because I could have stayed a day longer, if only I'd actually payed attention to the dates I'd requested off from work.  I walked into the office, settled into my desk, and went to retrieve my files for the day from the administrative office where they're kept.  All the admin women were looking at me funny as I stared into the empty space in the file drawer, but weren't sure it was okay to laugh at me until I started laughing myself.

So after I've returned from this morning's exercise and settled in to waste  spend some time at the computer, Hannah comes out of her room talking in non-sleepy voice about how it's still so dark outside.  By now it's 6:15.  This is the child that routinely takes about 30 minutes of snuggling, alternated with whining about being tired, to actually get moving most school mornings.  Even on most days off she'll sleep until 8:00am if allowed to do so.  But for some reason, the two of us can't get this particular day off right.

Alas.  I sent her to snuggle with her Dad, and I'll go get in the shower, and we'll try to straighten ourselves out here shortly.  Happy Monday, everyone!

1 comment: