Friday, April 29, 2011

Lighten up, will ya?

Here's a thing I've learned about my daughter.  She'll figure stuff out when she's good and ready. Not a minute before, and there's no stopping her once she's got it started.  It's been that way since she was born, I think.  She walked at 8 months old.  I certainly didn't encourage this.  But there she was on Thanksgiving, at her grandparents' house, figuring out how to spin in a circle by moving only one foot.  It wasn't 10 minutes before she was staggering away.

Same thing happened with potty training.  I tried everything, starting from the time she was about 2 1/2. Bribing with candy: Lame.  Sticker charts: Whatever.  Special Big Girl pants: More laundry for Mama.  Earning a prize: Pssht.  Like she'd notice the absence of a toy she never had in the first place.  But when she was good and ready, she put on some little Tinker Bell drawers, used the toilet, and never looked back.   I never bought another package of pull-ups.  Shoe tying worked similarly: one day she just tied her own shoes.

Some things Hannah hasn't mastered yet include riding a 2-wheeled bicycle and swimming.  I don't tell people that very often, because I'd like to avoid the disapproving stares and whispers.

Is there something wrong with her balance?  My little Timmy's been on a 2-wheeler since he was 4.


She can't swim yet?  How irresponsible.  You know, we do live in Florida.  There's water and pools and things all over the place.  


There's nothing wrong with her.  I just know that when I try to teach Hannah something I get the flopping around drama queen act, complete with "I just can't do it. It's too hard!"

When she's ready, she'll just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment