Tuesday, November 8, 2011

And now I'm a liar.

I'm rethinking this blog-a-day business already.  Not because I have run out of ideas.  I mean, I have, but I haven't run out of previously-recorded-before-a-live-studio-audience blog posts yet.  As a matter of fact, I probably wrote this one 3 or 4 days ago.  You'd never know.  There's no freshness date on it.

But the fact is that I'm not funny every day.  Or even interesting, probably.  Some days I'm funny about 2 or 3 different things, so I save up my stuff under Drafts and post it later.  I started doing that because I wanted to keep my posts short so people wouldn't get annoyed and close the window.  I know Mimi Smartypants can get away with a rambling post with 12 different topics, but I'm not her. But now I'm obsessively saving up quippy little thoughts for fear that one day I'll run out of things to say for realsies.  I'm a blog-hoarder.  Fortunately, the health department and the Humane Society haven't been alerted to my behavior.  "I can't throw it away; I might need it some day!"

I also sometimes save posts for a few days and read them over (and over and over) again before I post them to make sure they're not too insensitive or embarrassing to post.  I'm not sorry for that practice; I think the immediacy of text messages and social networking is one of the biggest problems with human relationships at this point. People routinely send text messages that they'd never have the nerve to say to someone's face.  I frequently tell clients who come in for relationship counseling that they have to stop sending text messages to each other. Write a letter, for God's sake.  It makes you think about the garbage you say to people you claim to love.

Ooh. Unrelated rant.  Sorry.

I really just wanted to unburden myself about this NaBloPoMo nonsense: It's manufactured. I write several in one day, and nothing for several days.  I feel dirty and bad for pretending I'm able to come up with something interesting every day.

I hope someone still loves me, even though I am a dirty, filthy liar.
Maybe because I have good grammar and varied punctuation. Yes? Maybe?

2 comments:

  1. The point of this NaBloPoMo stuff is to make you a better writer and to blog for the sake of blogging.
    Keep with it. It is not easy, but I find that forcing myself to be funny every day puts me in a better mood and makes me stop biting my finger nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went a whole month without blogging, so there's no judgment here. (Well, actually I went a whole month without knowing what the date was... That's almost the same thing, right?)
    And you do have exceptional grammar.

    ReplyDelete