Monday, November 28, 2011

Rewriting the rules as I go.

You may have noticed that I skipped a day.  It was Friday. I wrote a post, feeling duty-bound to post each day this month.  I read the post back later, and decided it was definitely something the world could live without.  Really, isn't there enough drivel on the Internet without my adding junk just because I said I would?  There was no admonition about the nature or quality of posts for NaBloPoMo, but I would hope that people (read: Jennifer) would edit themselves according to some reasonable standards.

So, after I'd decided that the original post was virtual bird-cage liner, I proceeded to have one of these awesome migraine variant thingeys.  I had one a couple years ago, when I'd had a couple hours where I couldn't see out of my right eye, couldn't remember anyone's name, and couldn't read.  I then spent 2 days in the hospital, so they could monitor me and tell me there was nothing appreciably wrong with my brain, but my resting heart rate was sloth-like.  While I was in the ER, some tattletale told the doctor it hit a low of 33bpm, which I don't believe; it was before they hooked me up to the monitor that keeps a log, so they couldn't really verify it either.  But it was enough to admit me.  They finally realized that I had been lying around for 2 days (!), so why didn't I get up and move around some and try to elevate my heart rate.  They very helpfully sent up a physical therapist to walk down the hall with me, at a billable rate of $180/hr.  Geeze.  All they could diagnose, in the end, was a Migraine Variant, so they let me go home. Finally. Punks.

So, Friday night while we were watching reruns of Frasier I noticed a "floater" in my right eye.  It was the shape of a Rubik's Snake, and made my eyes swim.
I went and sat in a dark room for a while, then tried to read Hannah some bedtime stories.  She kept correcting my reading of "The Poky Little Puppy."  This should be a diagnostic tool.  I've read that stupid story approximately 7, 352 times, starting when my brothers were little, in the late '80s, and I couldn't get through a single page without my 6-year-old helping me with the syntax.  I gave up and went to bed. 

Anyway.  All that to say I was then too confused to come up with another idea for a post after that mess, and I don't feel bad about it.  It did get me thinking about those Rubik's Snake toys.  I wonder if you can still get them.  If I find one in my Christmas stocking, I won't be disappointed...

No comments:

Post a Comment